Thursday, December 4, 2008

I Hate Muay Thai

...actually that is not true...what I actually hate is sparring...well...actually that's not true...what I hate is that fact that when you are sparring you are pulling your punches and kicks...and that just shits me. The thing is you are both supposed to be going at '60%' or whatever you're told...that never happens...one person is always at 60% and the other is at 62%. I always want to be the one at 98% while the other guy is at 60%...that would suit me fine. I really enjoyed training tonight we did a lot of high quality punching work...well it was supposed to be high quality...mine was crap quality...but the only way is up. I really need to do so much more work...on everything. I had a round with Aaron at the end of training and I was glad he was pulling his punches when he landed a right hand that if he had of really connected would of spun my head around like a top.

I am really looking forward to the new year when my work schedule is going to ease up a bit and I can devote more time to the technical side of MMA. I want to try to spend as much time 'on mat' as I can. You can do as much 'off mat' training as you like...nothing compares with actually 'competing' and 'training' in the sport you are involved in obviously.

6 comments:

Aaron said...

You had a hell of a smile on your face for a guy that doesn't like sparring! ...Or is that maniacal grin just a permanent feature?

Will Heffernan said...

Aaron said...
You had a hell of a smile on your face for a guy that doesn't like sparring! ...Or is that maniacal grin just a permanent feature?
1. I actually really like fighting.

2. Sparring doesn't suit me...because I am not technically gifted...I just wanted to jump on you and do my one and only MMA move...'The Human Blanket'...to give you some idea of my mindset that I have...I was devastated the other night when Barry told me I couldn't drop people on their head...I felt like giving it all away when I heard that.

3. I don't like to 'make' a fight...but always feel like I have to when sparring.

4. That grin is permanent...see point 1. above.

5. Nothing teaches a life long lesson like have the point rammed home with a fist in the face...lesson learned tonight...don't get sucked in to doing what I am not comfortable with and to stick with what I know.

Michael Sullivan said...

4 things that Will does like:

1. Food
2. Beer
3. Sexes
4. Smashing people in the face

Everything else is just tolerated.

kira said...

BJJ I can understand you hating ... I mean, if you really wanted to spend a lot of time between another man's legs, there are other activities that could achieve the same outcome but are far more lucrative ... albeit a little more sticky ;P

But hating on muay thai?? What's up with that? I'm sure Barry is just easing you into things with sparring. Once you've got a few more skills, I reckon he'll let you unleash a bit more :)

Will Heffernan said...

Michael Sullivan said...
4 things that Will does like:

1. Food
2. Beer
3. Sexes
4. Smashing people in the face

Everything else is just tolerated.
Including you.

kira said...
BJJ I can understand you hating ... I mean, if you really wanted to spend a lot of time between another man's legs, there are other activities that could achieve the same outcome but are far more lucrative ... albeit a little more sticky ;P
BBJ is only gay if you make eye contact. I don't have to worry too much about that as more often than not I end up with someone behind me with their arm wrapped around my throat.

But hating on muay thai?? What's up with that? I'm sure Barry is just easing you into things with sparring. Once you've got a few more skills, I reckon he'll let you unleash a bit more :)
Yeah...Aaron is fighting next week...I'm sure Barry is just 'easing' me in. I'm pretty certain that Aarons gloves were actually made from calf's scrotum filled with marshmallows and cotton buds.

Barry Oglesby said...

You're lucky it was just boxing last night, Aaron kicks like a mule.

Last night was easy enough sparring wise. The idea being that everyone transferred the work we did on the pads straight into a real life situation- punches in bunches only, good technique etc. etc.

Actually writing a blog entry on the point of that session now it'll be up in a sec.