Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Barry's first (lack of) Strength Session

Barry is going to be eased in...unlike what he did with me when he set the Kiddie Krippler on me on my first or second session.

His session looked like this:
Rower - 4x500m with 60 sec recovery between efforts. We did this at a really comfortable pace. Focused on lengthening his stroke and drawing right through the stroke...getting his shoulders down and his shoulder blades together.

We then did an upper body warm up...some open and closed horizontal band pull-a-parts, vertical band pull-a-parts along with band dislocates. A couple of sets of 8 reps of each...I think.

Then we did a circuit of chest supported scap rows, scap push ups, inverted shrugs and scap pull ups...again we did 2 or 3 sets of 8 reps.

1A Band Assisted Pull Ups - 10 sets of 5 reps.
1B Blast Strap Push Ups - 10 sets of 5 reps.



Barry doesn't know this yet...but he is never going to do a pull up again that doesn't involve his chest touching the bar. Hence the use of the band to enable this at the moment...we'll wean him of the band though in the months to come.

2A Ab Rollouts - 5 sets of 10 reps.

2B Natural Reverse Hypers - 5 sets of 10 reps.

Natural Glute Ham Raises - 8 sets of 5 reps


Lateral Woodchoppers - 3 sets of 8 each side.


So...that's 2 sessions down and only about 96 more till he fights again.

4 comments:

Angelo Pollice said...

So here I go asking stuff again:

Why the use of natural GHR?
instead of machine curls?
band assisted GHR?

Angelo

Barry Oglesby said...

I reckon it's cos I'm too weak for machine ones.

Will Heffernan said...

Angelo Pollice said...
So here I go asking stuff again:

Why the use of natural GHR?
Because it is what I have.

instead of machine curls?
I HATE knee flexion.

band assisted GHR?
Rather do low reps in this case than do them banc assisted.

Barry Oglesby said...
I reckon it's cos I'm too weak for machine ones.
Don't run yourself down like that....that's my job.

kira said...

Okay. so I gotta pull some changes to get this workout done ... How's this...

4 x 1500? m runs at a moderate pace, with 60 sec recovery. (instead of rower)


3 sets x 8 reps (inverted scap rows [rope], scap push ups [o-rings], inverted shrugs [rope] & scap pull ups [o-rings]).


1A O-rings Pull Ups - 10 sets of 5 reps. (Is 'titties to rings' the same as 'chest to bar'?)
1B O-rings Push Ups - 10 sets of 5 reps.


2A Ab Rollouts - 5 sets of 10 reps.
2B Reverse Hypers - 5 sets of 10 reps.

Natural Glute Ham Raises - 8 sets of 5 reps
Lateral medicine ball throws - 3 sets of 8 each side.

Does that sound okay?