Sunday, November 16, 2008

Just a quick update on The Bet.

Just so we all know where we stand:
Brophy - €75 (Paid)
Penguin - €75 (Unpaid)
Logi - €75 (Unpaid)
Nasher - €25 (Paid)
Killer - €25 (Unpaid)
Louis - €25 (Unpaid)
Jimmy - €50 (Unpaid)
and lastly...Bushy...who was sooooo convinced I wasn't going to get it that he went in for €100 (Unpaid)

Seems to be a bit of a struggle for some people to understand the meaning of the term 'bet' and what it actually means to 'make a bet' with someone.

I turned up on the day with €450 in an envelope...and obviously Brophy turned up with his money...because he paid me as soon as I won the bet...Nasher paid me on Saturday...everyone else seems to have mysteriously forgotten? It's good to know as next time I make a bet I'll remember that a man's word and his handshake doesn't actually mean the same thing in Ireland as it did growing up in Australia...I suppose it is just one of those little cultural differences between countries.

2 comments:

Michael Sullivan said...

Apparently you are only dealing with 2 men. The rest are little boys and Mum must not have given them their spending money yet.

Will Heffernan said...

Michael Sullivan said...
Apparently you are only dealing with 2 men. The rest are little boys and Mum must not have given them their spending money yet.
I know...very lame...if you have no intention of honouring your bets you have no place betting in the first place.