Sunday, November 23, 2008

Building a better Barry

I'm going to throw this up hear and finish it off later today and I have a whole heap of young athletes that I have to make wish they were dead this morning with some in gym circuit work.

I had Barry in the gym yesterday for the first time. We went through some of the stuff that we will be doing to get on top of his shoulder and back issues.


Assorted Shoulder Work.


As well as other stuff like this.

He also did some testing...his results were as follows:

Trap Bar Deadlift - 160kg. The pulled over double bodyweight easily. So I am happy with that. He has plenty of leg strength as far as I'm concerned and we'll be pretty much focusing on his speed and power with regard to his lower body training from here on in.

Bench - Did 60kg easy...we moved to 80kg (his body weight) and he could get it off his chest and that's about it. If someone can't bench their body weight then I'm not really that worried about how bad they are...they are just plain bad. Barry won't be benching again until he tests after Christmas I would say off the top of my head...and I'll wager that he gets 3+ reps next time.

Pull Ups - 5 reps...his target is 12 reps...so a good bit of work to do.

Push Ups - 33 reps in 60 seconds...his target is 50+ reps.

Inverted Rows - 6 reps in 60 seconds...his target is 30 reps.


Since Barry was such a smart arse in the comments section...I'm posting this just for him.

So in summary...Barry is like a lot of athletes that I see...he is obviously 'technically' very good at his sport...good enough to win fights. His sport specific strength is obviously also pretty good as well...as it certainly gets the job done.

From my point of view though...he is operating well below his physical capacity.

His deadlift aside...the rest of the results a mediocre at best and pretty poor at their worst.

Before he fights next I would like to see him score the following at an absolute minimum.

Deadlift - As is...double body weight.
Bench - 8+ reps at bodyweight.
Pull Ups - 8+ reps at bodyweight.
Push Ups - 50+ reps
Inverted Rows - 30+ reps

As you can see from his results...he is closer to some of those targets than others.

His long term target (as well as my own) will be the following:
Deadlift - Double body weight.
Bench - 12+ reps at bodyweight.
Pull Ups - 12+ reps at bodyweight.
Push Ups - 60+ reps
Inverted Rows - 40+ reps

Conditioning Test
He also did his rowing test at the end of testing and scored as follows:
170m, 159m, 154m, 150, 148m, 147m for a 929m total. I also have his heart rate profile and if I can figure out how to post it I will.

This test is pretty straight forward. You program the rower for timed intervals with 30 seconds of work and 30 seconds of recovery. You complete 1 warm up interval to begin...rest 30 seconds then you do 6 intervals with recovery back to back. I want to see people empty the tank on every rep...so they get the best score on each interval.


Barry's Heart Rate Profile - From his rowing test.

It gives you a good idea of an athletes anaerobic power/capacity. Barry is too mono paced...you'll see some of the rugby lads bang out close to 200m on the first and perhaps a 170 on the second interval before getting scores similar to Barry's for all the rest. I want to see some power...especially in fighters...being able to go the distance is fantastic...being able to finish the fight early is better.

Want to see him score 185m+ on the first and total over 1000m. This will be his long term goal.

Stuck for time this morning so that'll have to do you...I'll be back later to expand and explain more.

13 comments:

lylemcd said...

You go to a lot of trouble to maintain this deception.

Lyle

Will Heffernan said...

lylemcd said...
You go to a lot of trouble to maintain this deception.
It costs an absolute fortune...but it's worth it in the end as the sales of all my books and products more than makes up for it.

Barry Oglesby said...

I think these results, having had a bit of time to digest them, were bit deceptive in that I've been a bit slack over the last 3 months or so due to injury and real life. That's not to say that they're wrong in some way, just that I think that maybe my time to the 3xbw bench and the push and pull up increases will be shorter than you think. I'd like to think so anyway. I've benched 3xbw for 4 reps before, maybe 9 months ago, and in a previous push up test I've hit the 40s, but I suppose I'm not that guy anymore :(.

The inverted row test actually exceeded my expectations!I suppose you couldn't put that one on the blog though because of the language used.

Barry Oglesby said...

Also I thought I got 33 in 60 seconds on the push ups. Don't cheat me out of those Heffernan I need all the reps I can get.

Will Heffernan said...

Barry Oglesby said...
I think these results, having had a bit of time to digest them, were bit deceptive in that I've been a bit slack over the last 3 months or so due to injury and real life.
Excuses excuses.

That's not to say that they're wrong in some way, just that I think that maybe my time to the 3xbw bench and the push and pull up increases will be shorter than you think.
That's only because you've finally got a decent coach...I've only known the guy that trained you previously for a little while but I get the impression he's a moron.

I'd like to think so anyway. I've benched 3xbw for 4 reps before, maybe 9 months ago, and in a previous push up test I've hit the 40s, but I suppose I'm not that guy anymore :(.
If you don't have video proof...then it never happened...that's the internet law I'm afraid.

The inverted row test actually exceeded my expectations!I suppose you couldn't put that one on the blog though because of the language used.
I just fixed that...it's up now...in all it's non glory.

Barry Oglesby said...
Also I thought I got 33 in 60 seconds on the push ups. Don't cheat me out of those Heffernan I need all the reps I can get.
You get what I say you got.

garrett said...

Will can you explain a bit more about the rowing test
Is it 6x max distance in 30 secs ?
What are you looking for in this test ?

Sami said...

Will said...
It costs an absolute fortune...but it's worth it in the end as the sales of all my books and products more than makes up for it.

Where are my royalties for the one title and ad text? Haven't seen a cent so far.

Will Heffernan said...

garrett said...
Will can you explain a bit more about the rowing test
Is it 6x max distance in 30 secs ?
What are you looking for in this test ?
I went back and edited this post to contain a little more information. I hope that clears some stuff up for you.

Sami said...
Will said...
It costs an absolute fortune...but it's worth it in the end as the sales of all my books and products more than makes up for it.

Where are my royalties for the one title and ad text? Haven't seen a cent so far.
I sent the cheque ages ago...didn't you get it?

garrett said...

thanks

Barry Oglesby said...

Man that inverted row video is painful. You're lagged though cos in it you say 33 push ups. I'm fighting for every pathetic rep I can get.

Garret that rowing test is tough but what's really interesting is the heart rate results. I'm sure Will, being a technological genius will figure out how to post the graph but basically it supports what he said there about me being monopaced.

Joel Hallström said...

GREAT post will! A bit offtopic but; what type of camera do you use when you shoot those movies?

Will Heffernan said...

Barry Oglesby said...
Man that inverted row video is painful.
I don't know about that...I thought it was pretty funny.

You're lagged though cos in it you say 33 push ups. I'm fighting for every pathetic rep I can get.
Shut up whining you little blouse...I gave you 33...read the post again.

Garret that rowing test is tough but what's really interesting is the heart rate results. I'm sure Will, being a technological genius will figure out how to post the graph but basically it supports what he said there about me being monopaced.
You grossly overestimate my technological know how.

Joel Hallström said...
GREAT post will! A bit offtopic but; what type of camera do you use when you shoot those movies?
Canon Power Shot SD1000. My good friend Dan Fouts did all the research when he was looking for a camera for himself and I just piggy backed on his choice. I think it is excellent though...it is really small and really simple...much like my other good friend Mike Sullivan.

Clive said...

Poor Barry.

For so long we got away with just knowing more than everyone else and not being too fat.

It seems that fate is cruel and Will is crueller. I like that.