Monday, October 13, 2008

Ian

So here is the plan.

Ian is going to do a 2 week transition program...the idea behind this is to get him ready to test and to be able to do a good job of testing.

If I was really a proper internet coach I would have tested Ian when he was over...taken those scores and could have just had him do just about anything reasonably decent for the next 6 weeks and be assured that his scores would all go up....but that would just be crap...so instead he's going to do 2 weeks or 6 weights sessions just to get a bit of a feel for things.

His 3 sessions will be pretty straight forward and to put it as simply as possible they'll be 3 full body type sessions with a chest, back and leg focus on each of those days.

We'll also do some conditioning work and do a lot of mobility and stability work to try to iron out some of his kinks.

I'm going to get Ian to get some bands...I think everyone should have them mainly because I don't know anyone that hasn't been better off for using them. We do more with them than just horizontal and vertical band pull-a-parts by the way.

Session 1 - Back Day
Easy 1km Row at 1.50/500m pace
1A Inverted Scap Shrugs - 2x8
1B Chest Supported Scap Shrugs - 2x8
2A Pull Ups - 10x3
2B Push Ups - 10x10
Ab Roll Outs - 3x12
3A Overs and Unders - 2x8 each side
3B Reverse Med Ball Lunges - 2x8 each side
4A Elevated Split Squats - w/u 2x8, 3x8
4B DB Rows - 5x8 each side
Bridging - 3x60 seconds

Session 2 - Leg Day
Easy 1km Row at 1.50/500m pace
1A Hurdle Steps - 2x8 each side
1B Over Head Medball Squats - 2x8
Squat/Deadlift Variation - w/u 2x8, 5x5
Supplementary Quad or Hamstring - 3x8
Lateral Woodchoppers - 3x12 each side
2A Barbell Scap Press - 2x8
2B YTWLs - 2x12 (4 of each)
3A Inverted Rows - 5x10
3B Modified Push Ups - 5x10
Natural Reverse Hypers - 3x12

Session 3 - Chest Day
Easy 1km Row at 1.50/500m pace
1A Scap Pull Ups - 2x8
1B Scap Push Ups - 2x8
Bench Variation - w/u 2x8, 5x5
Lat Pullowns - 5x12
Hanging Leg Raises - 3x12
2A Hip Pop Ups - 2x8 each side
2B Lateral Step Overs - 2x8 each side
Reverse Lunges - 5x12 each side
Back Extensions - 3x12

Now...this isn't the finished article but it is my first draft...I'll talk it through with Ian and se what equipment he has access to and what he doesn't and we'll make whatever adjustments we need to from there.

He's been extremely quiet...he may have gone back to England and deleted the 'bookmark' on his browser...I tend to have that effect on people. Anyway...off to take care of womens hockey now so we'll see if he surfaces. I'll drop him a mail this evening and give him a chance to give his side of the story and post it here when and if he does.

So let's get Ian sorted weights wise then we'll have a look at integrating his conditioning work into his program.

Hi Will...brief list of kit I have access to...the important bits...

power rack w/ chinup bar
olympic barbell and weights
bench inc/dec/flat
cable Xover w/ various attachments
selectable/spin lock db's
concept 2 & treadmill
swissball

not sure how I will incorporate reverse hypers...off the bench maybe but limited ROM...and back extensions will probably need to be done on the swissball
You can do the reverse hypers on your dining room table....just not during dinner. The back extensions we can do by locking your feet under your bench or something like that and using the swiss ball...it should be fine.

3 q's on the exercises:

reverse med ball lunge - should the ball be held overhead?
No. Dumbells in hand...I'll make a video and post it here for here.


This is a reverse lunge.

bb scap press - is this a shoulder press involving just the scap's - no arm movement?
That's the one.

modified pushup - how modified?
I'll post the video of this exercise right here for you as well.


This is the modified push up in his program.

The reason I'm rubbing my eyes is because it was 10.30pm when I did this and it had been a long day. Pay more attention to the front on shot than the side on because I was a little cramped for space on the side on shot...I'm sure you get the idea.

Finally...I've been to the iron woody site but not sure which bands to go for...various lengths and colours...bit confusing...can you advise on this when you get time.
Absolutely...I only realised the other day that the blog must have had a little meltdown in the past and the link I had to their site had disappeared from the blog. I will put it back up and I'll also put a link to the band package I think would be best for you right here.

OK...I think you should probably get the advanced package which contains a pair of small, medium and large bands.


That's it for now...looking forward to getting started.

Thanks again.

9 comments:

Damian Griffin said...

Mate,

looks good for Ian that is !!! Can you forward me on the two day programme for my good self for the next 2 weeks. We also need to discuss the big push from Nov through to Xmas Ho HO HO

ian said...

To all the haterz who think Will is loud...rambling...and incoherent - you're right...so I did what anyone else in my position would do...I kept my mouth shut and only spoke when Will drew breath...which was every 3 hours...or drank his Guinness...whichever came sooner.

In the same way that if a bunch of monkeys typed away at a keyboard for long enough they'd come up with something approaching Shakespearian...sure enough some of what Will said actually made sense...I've got all the notes from my two days on the back of a post-it note.

As an added bonus I met Damian...who's rowing exploits are in another league to mine and gave great advice...just before I managed to let go of the handle and land on my backside behind the rower propped up against the wall...way to go to maintaining my dignity.

I missed my flight home due to two cars having tete-a-tete on the M50...which is one long building site in any case...so had to stump up 250 Euro's to get home with Ryannair that night...low cost airline my arse.

Will...thanks for putting up the video's and the program...I've a few questions for you about some of the exercises...I'll let you know what equipment I have access to at home sometime tomorrow as I have some work to do right now...plus I have a fuggin cold that's come on in past day or two...so I'll take a day or two off anyhow.

Cheers mate.

Will Heffernan said...

Ian,
That really blows...missing the flight that is...the rest of your wrap up was pretty much spot on.

ian said...

Hi Will...brief list of kit I have access to...the important bits...

power rack w/ chinup bar
olympic barbell and weights
bench inc/dec/flat
cable Xover w/ various attachments
selectable/spin lock db's
concept 2 & treadmill
swissball

not sure how I will incorporate reverse hypers...off the bench maybe but limited ROM...and back extensions will probably need to be done on the swissball

3 q's on the exercises:

reverse med ball lunge - should the ball be held overhead?

bb scap press - is this a shoulder press involving just the scap's - no arm movement?

modified pushup - how modified?

Finally...I've been to the iron woody site but not sure which bands to go for...various lengths and colours...bit confusing...can you advise on this when you get time.

That's it for now...looking forward to getting started.

Thanks again.

ian said...

Hi Will...I'm on the mend from man flu and aiming to get started Saturday.

I have another question regarding loading. Given your relaxed attitude to athlete's completing the number of reps in each set...within reason...how do you go about selecting the load to be used? Taking the compound exercises with set/reps of 10 x 3 or 5 x 5...should I select a load to complete the reps (in which case the load would reduce slightly in subsequent sets)...or do prefer to have someone choose a load they could use for all sets provided rest was sufficient?

ian said...

Thanks for putting up the video...though I do know what a reverse lunge was...but you said with med ball not dumbbells :)...so I'll go with dumbbells.

Will Heffernan said...

ian said...
Hi Will...I'm on the mend from man flu and aiming to get started Saturday.
About time.

I have another question regarding loading. Given your relaxed attitude to athlete's completing the number of reps in each set...within reason...how do you go about selecting the load to be used?
Well that is really a horses for courses thing because obviously if they are squatting they are not re racking for a little rest mid set. I also wouldn't give someone who has a max of 3 pull ups 5 sets of 8.

Taking the compound exercises with set/reps of 10 x 3 or 5 x 5...should I select a load to complete the reps (in which case the load would reduce slightly in subsequent sets)...or do prefer to have someone choose a load they could use for all sets provided rest was sufficient?
This bit is the coaching part. Because I'd rarely do either of those explicitly. For you I'd say try to increase the load from 1st set to last instead.

Thanks for putting up the video...though I do know what a reverse lunge was...but you said with med ball not dumbbells :)...so I'll go with dumbbells.
OK...you through me a dummy here...if they are reverse med ball lunges you are talking about they are done with a med ball or single dumbbell out it front of you and rotating over the leg in front. You follower?

ian said...

I think you should probably get the advanced package which contains a pair of small, medium and large bands

Thanks Will...just ordered them now through your link...spend your cut wisely :)

if they are reverse med ball lunges you are talking about they are done with a med ball or single dumbbell out it front of you and rotating over the leg in front. You follower?

Aye, I follow...the program lists reverse med ball lunge but it didn't say twist but I understand your description above.

Ian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.