Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Mimo...this is for you so stop complaining but...

...first things first.
ian said...

Will,
Did I hear you say "functional stretch"?
Yes, but 'functional' isn't a dirty word...no matter what Eric says...I actually have a copy of Eric's new book and plan to read it this weekend...I so hope that it's crap because I haven't really had a chance to bag anything for a while.

During the screening process I assume you will have a battery of static and dynamic tests you could use to supplement the visual cues that help to diagnose strengths, weaknesses, mobility etc
Yes, I do.

...if an athlete has pain where do you draw the line between continuing to tweak the training to relieve/resolve the pain and referring out to a physiotherapist?
Thankfully I work with some excellent physiotherapists...have so close a working relationship that I actually train some. That makes things easy for me. I've been working for long enough that I know where the line is.

Over the last few years it seems that there is a push to extend the skills of a strength and conditioning coach from purely getting the athletes conditioned for their sport...to also provide rehab programming to overcome soft tissue injuries. I thought it would be interesting to read your take on this.
Yeah...this goes both ways...and it is no good for anyone. Have a look at the curriculum for any physiotherapy course and tell me if you want any of them training you? I've had some amazing conversations with physiotherapists over the years where I have stood there speechless while they tried to tell me how to do my job...same as doctors as well....they are even funnier...clueless.

PS. I like the unedited version of the video.
It just too damned long to upload is all.

garrett said...

2. I am ALWAYS looking at achieving just one goal...physical harmony...does that sound ghey...well too bad...it's true. I'm always looking to balance people out firstly then secondly to raise all these levels at the same time. Does that make sense? I don't want athletes that can bench 150kgs, squat 100kgs and only do 2 pull ups...and I've seen these.

Will apart from lads who just like benching or bicep curls are the imbalances you commonly see in people a result of their training, their chosen sport or injuries they've picked along the way or all of the above.
All of the above but a large part of it is due to the fact that we have pretty much engineered physical activity out of our lives...too many people spend the majority of their time sitting on their hole. This leads to a lot of problems.

So anyway...Mimo has been email stalking me so I thought I would put up a Pre Session Session...that isn't a typo...this was a session that a small group of lads did before we did our main session.

Basically it goes like this...as you can see in the video below I've laid out a 10m section then 5m, then 10m and 5m and 10m, 5m and 10m.

So we warm up...jog 10m, lunge 5m for the length and jog back, do the same thing with sumo's, then hamstring walks, then quad walks, then leg swings etc etc.

The first drill was this one.



We did 3 sets of 3 reps...basically going easy on the first...which this was and then harder on the second rep and flat out on the last rep of the set.

They were to walk to the first line...jog to the second and then a two handed touch at the second line and then back to the first and over the second line and then same again all the way to the end.

The next one was basically a reaction drill...done in 3's. They jog easy out to the second line of cones...they have to back all the way back past the first line of cones at the very least...there are 3 sections and at each section a different member of the 3 calls the go...if you're not following this let me know...as this blog has well and truly demonstrated I'm hopeless at this sort of stuff.



The last drill we did was just a straight out sprints. First to the end of the first row of cones...then to the end of the second row and as you may have guest the last was to the end of the third. We did two sets of these with a full recovery between sets.





10 comments:

João Mimoso said...

Thanks,Will, i appreciate it. My drills are similar, so...you're doing something right...

...however, my Aussie friend, my question is...how do i incorporate the goddamn ball, on the court?

Will Heffernan said...

I do these drills on court...with the ball...cmon Mimo...lift your game...I can't come over there and actually coach your team for you.

Joel Hallström said...

I totally agree with you. And im here to learn. The weird thing is that most of today's physiotherapy consists of different types of rehab-training, still I know few physio's who knows how to perform the basic lifts. Even though its a golden rule that you got to know how to perform the movement to be able to teach.

Will im aiming for the 25-26th, I will know for sure by the end of this week. I can't seem to find your adress anywhere though...not a joke!

Will Heffernan said...

No problem Joel see you then if you make it...be sure to bring your drinking boots as well for Saturday night.

Barry said...

Functional is definitely not a dirty word. Bollix, now that's a dirty word.

I know I'm probably committing S&C heresy here, but the more I read of Cressey, the less I like. All he seems to do is moan about how crap he thinks everyone else is. Now of course I know that doesn't mean he's good or bad at what he does but still.

Quick random question Will. DO you coach any non-team sport athletes? I remember you saying you had Darren Sutherland for a while.

Will Heffernan said...

Barry said...

Functional is definitely not a dirty word. Bollix, now that's a dirty word.

I know I'm probably committing S&C heresy here, but the more I read of Cressey, the less I like. All he seems to do is moan about how crap he thinks everyone else is. Now of course I know that doesn't mean he's good or bad at what he does but still.
That's all a lot of people in the industry seem to do. I've been trying to do less of it mainly because I don't really care that much. I actually try not to read that much or other peoples stuff. On the whole the internet is probably the WORST place to get REAL coaching information. For example...there are plenty of people that you couldn't turn a page on the interweb without seeing something they'd written or some product they've developed...the reason is because they did fuck alls actual work and spent there whole time writing about what other people may have been doing...a lot of these people actually tend to disappear when they actually start working for a living. Then there are people that are at the top of their field who produce high quality athletes ALL the time season after season year after year who you have never heard of and never will. The internet is full of mediocrity and this blog is a perfect example. I think I'm a good coach...not a bad one and not a great one...I know some great coaches and have been lucky enough to work with some...I know a lot of good coaches....coaches that get the job done....I also see and know a lot of really shit coaches...people who have been in the game for years and still don't actually 'get it'...this would be by far the majority. The great ones don't spend any time at all on the internet from what I can see...at least not until they pretty much retire...some good ones manage to get a bit up but not much...the shit ones have all the time in the world to post endlessly, write an article a week and creat 3 or 4 world changing products a year. The funniest thing is a lot of these guys as well as other wannabe posters on strength and fitness forums etc all think they are just undiscovered talent, they actually think that they know what they are talking about and that it is just peoples idiocy that prevents them from getting paid, getting clients, being a strength and conditioning superstar...I never have the heart to break it to them...that actually they are just delusional... mean I'm a total a-hole and suffer from massive social retardation and yet even I manage to make people realise I'm worth paying...if I can pull it off with my advertising and marketing skills then they sure as hell should be able to..what was your question again...oh yeah...you hate Eric...that's fair enough...you love me though right? Excellent...that makes 7 people who like me and only 96,485 for Eric...I'm catching up with him.

Quick random question Will. DO you coach any non-team sport athletes? I remember you saying you had Darren Sutherland for a while.
Yes, martial artists...unless they are secretly getting together and forming some sort of ninja team hit squad that I don't know about? Tennis players...unless you count doubles as a team sport? Golfers? Athletics? I think I've a pretty wide client base.

Ian said...

Are there any intraweb guru's reading this blog...unlikey with only 7 readers...4 of whom are Will's relatives but you never know...who know how to collate the main blog with the comments?

I know you can do a 'feed' of the main blog and have all the blog posts visble in one go but you don't get the comments too.

Ta muchly.

Barry said...

Yes I've always wondered how much time these guys coul possibly be spending in their gyms if they had so much time to blog and write articles.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on conditioning for short, intense bursts of activity, 5 minutes in length to be exact. I watched Munster vs. Cardiff last week and watched the Munster back line during a passage of play. Between tackling, line breaks and general play, I reckon each one got through a hell of a lot of work in the 5 minutes. It got me to thinking about how we prepare for bouts and that maybe we go about it the wrong way. Subsequent conversations with other S&C coaches have led me to think on it further. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on preparing someone for an MMA bout. I'm forming new opinions myself.

João Mimoso said...

Will Heffernan said...
I do these drills on court...with the ball...cmon Mimo...lift your game...I can't come over there and actually coach your team for you.


Yeah. I went stupid for a moment. Thanks a lot, Will. If you want to come and do a guest coaching session, you're welcome to do so HA HA

João Mimoso said...

I'd just like to add that, while there are a bunch of dipshits on the S&C industry( i know some and have been "taught" by a few other), Eric is definitely not one of them. His stuff, at the very least, always makes me think (whatever that means), and is well worth it. I'm a bit biased,though.