Thursday, September 11, 2008

Early morning session

This is what the lads did....some of them anyway...others were sweating bullets and moaning and groaning in the gym...I know this because I could hear them from outside.

5 mins on the bike.

A 10 minute work block of the following:

5 lunges each leg with a 20 kg plate held to their chest.
5 Inverted Rows
5 Elevated Push Ups

The best was 10 sets in 10 minutes.

Then

3 sets of the following:

1 set was as follows...
4 punches thrown at each cone done 3 times followed by 30 seconds recovery.
8 punches thrown at each cone done 3 times followed by 30 seconds recovery
12 punches thrown at each cone done 3 times followed by 60 seconds recovery before commencing the next set....you follow? They did 3 of these sets...the following footage was taken when Chops was doing his last lot of 12 punches in his final set.


He's got 60lbs in the X-vest (I told him it was only 40lbs...1. Because I knew that he wouldn't be able to convert lbs to kgs and 2. Because I knew that he'd know that 60lbs was a lot...no matter how you converted it.) and a viper belt attached to the vest.

By the way...I doubt he'd of been able to punch his way out of a wet paper bag at the end.

We went from his last set of these to 6 sets of down and ups with 30 second recoveries between sets.


Down and Ups with the X-vest and the Viper belt.

They finished off with some Out & Back & Out sprints.


These were done on the minute and 10 in total were done...they were taking about 8 seconds or so to complete so 52 seconds recovery.

...and before someone asks...yes, they can afford shoes and boots but I like to have as many of my athletes as possible do as many sessions as possible (read 1 or 2 a week) barefoot because it helps with ankle, knee and hip problems and its also good for calf and hamstring issues....well that's my story and I'm sticking to it.

10 comments:

Michael Sullivan said...

Is the lunging/punching drill Chops was a doing a position specific drill or do all the lads do it?

He did looked gassed and the end. Makes it harder for them to knock the piss out of you. Smart move.

Will Heffernan said...

Michael Sullivan said...
Is the lunging/punching drill Chops was a doing a position specific drill or do all the lads do it?
No and Yes.

He did looked gassed and the end. Makes it harder for them to knock the piss out of you. Smart move.
Precisely...although that hasn't happened for ages. I think I'm being too gentle/soft in my old age.

Anonymous said...

Two things:

1. Why punching? Aggression? Power? Cruelty? I ask because punching is kind of my thing so to see it in rugby workouts is always a curiosity for me. We do some similar workouts with pads/straps/bags so I'd be interested to know the logic behind that.
2. The barefoot thing is interesting as I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard barefoot training blamed for all sorts of injuries from fallen arches to ACL tears. 99% of what we do is barefoot of course. If you had any literature or sources on your barefoot philosophy that would be a tremendous help to me. I could throw it in people's faces the next time I hear it.

I also like the Fireman's Squat/Upright Row/Squat n Curl thing and will be robbing it in due course.

Barry said...

For some reason, that put me in as anonymous. I am not anonymous.

Will Heffernan said...

Barry said...
Two things:
1. Why punching? Aggression? Power? Cruelty? I ask because punching is kind of my thing so to see it in rugby workouts is always a curiosity for me. We do some similar workouts with pads/straps/bags so I'd be interested to know the logic behind that.
Rugby has a large upper body component...this is just one of many ways I try to integrate upper body work into training for rugby.

2. The barefoot thing is interesting as I've lost count of the amount of times I've heard barefoot training blamed for all sorts of injuries from fallen arches to ACL tears. 99% of what we do is barefoot of course.
That is just stupid. Some of this crap never ceases to amaze me. I had an athlete tell me that he spoke with a 'sports physician' the other day who told him that taking creatine would give him kidney problems....just like the rest of the population...a lot of Doctors, Physiotherapists, Nutritionist, Sports Scientist, Coaches etc etc etc are total idiots....my advice to you...don't believe everything you read...particulary if you read it here for example.

If you had any literature or sources on your barefoot philosophy that would be a tremendous help to me. I could throw it in people's faces the next time I hear it.
Let them say/think what they like...it is actually the fact that so many people disagree with me that makes me feel so confident.

I also like the Fireman's Squat/Upright Row/Squat n Curl thing and will be robbing it in due course.
Go for your life....just send me €1 a year for life and you can have the right to use them all guilt free.

Barry said...

"Rugby has a large upper body component...this is just one of many ways I try to integrate upper body work into training for rugby."

Interesting. have you ever seen pummelling for Greco Roman wrasslin?

"Go for your life....just send me €1 a year for life and you can have the right to use them all guilt free."
I can live with quite a bit of guilt, and already do. I'll just add on stealing a drill from you to the weight on my shoulders.

João Mimoso said...

I use a lot of barefoot training with my basketball players and,so far, the feedback has been great.
First they were shocked, but now they do it spontaneously.

There is plenty of research showing the benefits of this practice...and it just makes sense.

Adrienl said...

hi will hope your trip went well
firstly eric cressy agress with you on the barefoot thing so you must be right
secondly i realise you've almost certainly forgotten this, what with your new contracts and such(congratulations on that), but i asked a question way back in this blog about wave loading as you were using it. Just wondering if i could get an answer there please.
thirdly do you have or could you provide some details on how you trained ROK when see first started.
i am training a 16 year old soccer player who failed to complete a pushup, row or pullup and has massive mobility issues. just interested in seeing what you do with weak beginners as opposed to strong footballers.
thanks as always for your time

Kira said...

Didn't know about the bare-foot thing. That's interesting.

Are those stretchy band exercises designed to make you more explosive? Or is there more to it than that?

And I think you're being too soft on Chops. I don't care how tired he was, he was hitting the mitts like a girl :)

cheers.

Anonymous said...

Chops is LUCKY those mitts don't hit back.