Saturday, August 2, 2008

When bulking goes wrong...

...a client was doubting that I was ever 138kgs...this should help put those doubts to bed for good.


I only lost weight so the beer cans wouldn't get in the way when I was watching TV.

Killer did his mid cycle testing today. He weighed in at 93ish kgs and proceeded to box squat 165kg for a triple, bench press 95kg for 10 reps and tripled 31kg on his pull up test.

He got 130kg on his last mid cycle test and I wanted to get this up. He was lacking some lower back strength and hip mobility so we targeted that. He'll do 2 more weeks of this program before we have an unloading week and get stuck into a new cycle...next up...we're going to get his bench up to 12 reps at 95kgs.

Here is his program from the previous 3 weeks.

Session 1
Warm Up + Mobility Work
Snatch Grips Deadlifts (3 w/u) - 5 sets of 12 reps
Leg Extensions - 3 sets of 15 reps (each leg)
Ab Pull Downs – 3 sets of 20 reps
Flat DB Bench Press - 5 sets of 8 reps
Unsupported DB Rows - 3 sets of 12 reps
Torque Press - 4 sets of 8 reps with a 30 second hold on the final rep of each set.
1A Ezy Bar Bicep Curls – 3 sets of 12 reps
1B Ezy Bar Overhead Tricep Extensions - 3 sets of 12 reps

Session 2
Warm Up + Mobility Work
Sternum Pull Ups - 8 sets of 5 reps
Blast Strap Push Ups - 4 sets of 15 reps
Side Bridging (60 secs) – 4 sets of 60 secs
Leg Press - (3 w/u) - 5 sets of 12 reps
Seated Leg Curls - 3 sets of 15 reps
45 deg Back Extensions - 5 sets of 8 reps

Session 3
Warm Up + Mobility Work
Full Squat - 5 sets of 12 reps

Killer doing Full Squats
Natural Reverse Hypers - 3 sets of 12 reps
Roll Outs - 4 sets of 15 reps
Inverted Blast Strap Rows - 4 sets of 15 reps
DB Hammer Curls - 3 sets of 12 reps
Lying Tricep Extensions - 3 sets of 12 reps

I know you hate Pull Up videos...so naturally it is all I want to post now.

I had to go to the video tape...but yes..he got the 3rd.

I do wish I had more athletes like Killer...in all honesty...I've probably missed more of the training sessions I was to take than Killer has.

Quotes of the Week
Killer - 'You know those deep squats you had me doing really worked!'
I think these guys just think I pull these programs out of my hole sometimes?

Someone talking about Chops and the fact that he had been given permission to miss training as his girlfriend was returning from a 2 month holiday - 'He's going to miss training to go out and pick up his girlfriend from the airport then spend the weekend with her.'
Someone else - 'That's the gayest thing I've ever heard'.

6 comments:

Kira said...

Yet another one of your cunning marketing strategies—a fat pic of yourself . . . genius!

I'm soooo ready to buy your products

:)

ian said...

My eyes have just been soiled!

Was this a recent photo shoot just before the fat loss phase :)

Michael Sullivan said...

Looks like a "Jimmy Smith" before shot. Clever marketing on your part to copy the master.

Still waiting for my cool nickname.

Will Heffernan said...

Kira said...
Yet another one of your cunning marketing strategies—a fat pic of yourself . . . genius!

I'm soooo ready to buy your products

:)
That guy still has me laughing. I'm all about the marketing.

Will Heffernan said...

ian said...
My eyes have just been soiled!

Was this a recent photo shoot just before the fat loss phase :)
I'm actually away from base now but I was thinking I might actually post that as my 'after' photo and put up one of me even fatter than that as my 'before' photo.

Martin Berkhan said...

Strong bulk, bro.