Wednesday, July 2, 2008

You can never be too safe...

...or can you?

Cookies has really taken my 'safety first' message to heart...I couldn't count on two hands the number of times I've been in the gym and seen the plates come off one side of a leg press and for the whole thing to topple over and crush an athlete using it. I'm actually thinking of getting a seatbelt attached to the leg press just so he doesn't fall out of it and hurt himself.


I'm think of putting the leg press inside a squat cage just so Cookies can feel extra safe...that way he can use the safety pins.

On the issue of safety...I'm not sure but from the looks of the tread on Choppo's back he might of been run over by a bus...and if he wasn't...I bet after this mornings session he feels like he was.


Unlike a lot of coaches I'd never throw my athletes under a bus...even if it looks that way.

Jonathan was asking...well he didn't exactly ask...he basically said I was either ignorant, stupid or too lazy to answer his question about lower mobility and stability work. He was basically referring to the fact that I was rambling on no doubt about the importance of joint control and stability in the expression of strength and I was obviously giving upper body examples in relation to benching and chinning/pull ups and he wanted to know what I do with regard to the lower body...as in with regard to squatting and deadlifting obviously...well this is one of the things.


Thunderbirds are go...and if I was training them they wouldn't be getting around like they do in the show.

You know how at school you had 'show and tell'? Well this blog is like that...only I'm only doing the 'show' bit...if you want the 'tell' bit then you need to ask questions like Jonathan, the Ian's, Mimo, Anonymous and Joel.

15 comments:

Sami said...

I'm hurt that you left me out of list. Don't I ask enough questions? So.. when are you going to update the athletes blog?

Anonymous said...

Sami,
Terribly sorry I didn't include you in the list of usual suspects.
Will

ian said...

Hi Will,

After posting my rowing time trials a few weeks ba...150m/28s – 500m/1:48.8s – 2Km/7:55...could you outline what jumps out at you from those figures and how they would shape up any program you would develop...bearing in mind you haven’t seen my technique or know my goals though I am very similar to Patrick. I saw your analysis of recent tests and can see that power is an obvious concern in the 150m trial.

This isn’t me touting for a progr...as I’m actually following Patrick’s Phase...I am in much need of conditioning work and I was curious to see how I would get in mixing the rowing with the strength work. I’ve just finished the first 2 weeks and already I am feeling great progress with the rowing conditioning.

Have you got Patrick on Phase 4 yet?...I know you’re looking at adding some size and I was interested to see how you keep the mix of volume and intensity of the rowing for this phase.

ian said...

Hi Will,

After posting my rowing time trials a few weeks back...150m/28s – 500m/1:48.8s – 2Km/7:55...could you outline what jumps out at you from those figures and how they would shape up any program you would develop...bearing in mind you haven’t seen my technique or know my goals though I am very similar to Patrick. I saw your analysis of recent tests and can see that power is an obvious concern in the 150m trial.

This isn’t me touting for a program...as I’m actually following Patrick’s Phase...I am in much need of conditioning work and I was curious to see how I would get in mixing the rowing with the strength work. I’ve just finished the first 2 weeks and already I am feeling great progress with the rowing conditioning.

Have you got Patrick on Phase 4 yet?...I know you’re looking at adding some size and I was interested to see how you keep the mix of volume and intensity of the rowing for this phase.

Will Heffernan said...

Ian,
You really want this question answered don't you?

ian said...

Well...I'm in no rush...in your own time :)

Sami said...

Will,
if you were to use front squat as a benchmark in your test, how much would it be?

Will Heffernan said...

ian said...
Well...I'm in no rush...in your own time :)
Please tell me you got the joke and saw that you posted your question twice?

Will Heffernan said...

Sami said...
Will,
If you were to use front squat as a benchmark in your test, how much would it be?
I wouldn't...but I can make something up if you like?

ian said...

Will said...
Please tell me you got the joke and saw that you posted your question twice?


I'm not a complete retard Will...though reading this blog probably doesn't help :)

Will Heffernan said...

ian said...
I'm not a complete retard Will...though reading this blog probably doesn't help :)
This is true..I'm going to write you a rowing program that I am guessing will cuase you to lose the power of speech though.

ian said...

Will said...I'm going to write you a rowing program that I am guessing will cuase you to lose the power of speech though.

Cheers Will...though you really don't have to.

I think I've seen the grim reaper today...I got as close to an out of body experience as you can get without my soul passing over to the "other side".

This afternoon I did session 1 of PC's Phase 1 program (150m/30s + 150m/45s + 150m/60s)...I was most proud of not going over 30s for any of the intervals during the 150m/60s row...but as I lay on the floor at the end I probably resembled a seal that had been stunned with a club.

Given my time trial times I've no idea whether PC's Phase 1 is appropriate but like I said before I was keen to try the mix of cardio and strength...so far so good.

Sami said...

Will said...
I wouldn't...but I can make something up if you like?


Please do. I've been front squatting exclusively for the last few months. It'd be fun to know how it rates. Allthough I need switch to back squatting for a while due to a minor injury so might as well test with it.

Will Heffernan said...

Sami said...

Will said...
I wouldn't...but I can make something up if you like?

Please do. I've been front squatting exclusively for the last few months. It'd be fun to know how it rates. Allthough I need switch to back squatting for a while due to a minor injury so might as well test with it.
Why do you need to switch back?

Sami said...

Will said...
Why do you need to switch back?

Sorry, missed this one. It's hard to keep up with the latest comments because you only see so many on the front page. I'm still searching for the blog entry I commented yesterday (don't remember which one it was...)

I received a nasty oozing carpet burn on my deltoid from wrestling and couldn't support the bar with the clean grip.