Wednesday, June 4, 2008

It's nice to get out

Had a half day...of half evening tonight...which ever way you want to look at it and took a GAA session after leaving the gym at 6.30pm rather than 9.30pm. I was annoyed that I forgot the camera because I am going to start recording drills and sessions to post. One of the things that I think very few courses/seminars do well is actually the bit that the majority of people are the most interested in...that being...what can I actually apply to my training or the training of others. Who actually really cares about the chemical structure of lactate dehydrogenase...I want to know how I can get it working. So what I'm going to do is to show actual you can see the session plans and how they were actually performed....much more interesting than the interconversion of pyruvate and lactate with concomitant interconversion of NADH and NAD+...see what I mean...I don't know how you felt reading that but I almost went unconscious just writing it. video tonight but I will have bits of Friday's session taped hopefully if I can find a cameraman and the weather's what we did anyway.
We did the following:
Warm Up & Mobility Work.
Then intervals on a 10m by 10m square...player on each corner. On the whistle the ball is hand passed and the player who passed the ball runs around the cone of the player he passed it to and back to his own....and round and round the ball goes. Emphasis on sympathetic passing and fast delivery.
The intervals went like this - 15, 30, 45 with 30 seconds recovery between intervals. 3 block of there are done together back to back. Followed by a 2 minute break. We did 3 sets of these and when I say we...I mean they did 3 sets of these while I yelled and blew my whistle (god I love blowing that whistle). We took a 2 minute break and then did 10 of the following...the players stood with a leg either side of a centre line with a line 5 metres either side. They did 10 seconds of prisoner squats followed immediately by a 10 seconds isometric hold in the power position. On my whistle they then alternated between breaking left and right running over the line to one side...both feet over and placing one hand on the ground...then back across the centre line to the other line...both feet over and placing one hand on the ground...then accelerated and decelerated to a dead stop in the power position on the centre line. I gave them 30 seconds recovery then we went in the opposite direction....5 each side and 10 obviously in total as I said. They then had 2 minutes recovery before getting back on their squares and then finished with 2 blocks of 20, 40, 60 seconds effort with 30 second recovery. 2 minute rest. Then the last 20, 40, 60, 20, 40, 60 second efforts with recoveries. The boys really dug deep and went at it hard. It was their first session on the pitch since their last match 10 days ago so it was a good blow out. Friday's session will be much more technically orientated with a lot more emphasis on power and agility.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you can really improve that game by randomly saying "Simon says!" before some commands.