Thursday, June 19, 2008

Blogging while the blogging is good.

Start of Rant
Note: Just wanted to let all those athletes that have got 100+ reps on their push up test know that I am scrubbing all your scores....apparently what you did was impossible...I know...I know...I was as surprised as you all are to find out that what you did was impossible. So from now on I think we better all stop at 60 reps so we don't make all the internet 'fitness enthusiasts' feel bad about how pathetic they are.

This was one of my favourite quotes:
More than interesting, maybe not possible. I can imagine someone with great muscle endurance and light bodyweight getting 100 in 2 minutes, but 117 in one? I did 100 in 4:48 and I'm no slouch by any means, but I do weigh 210-215 lbs. depending on time of day. I definitely hit a wall on the last 20 or so and slowed down considerably.

How pathetic...fancy actually putting that up even if it was true. So all of you guys that saw Conor and John test saw the impossible...I suppose we should let John Ryan know that his score is getting scrubbed...I think we should draw straws...or maybe send one of the Under 20's that hasn't met him and doesn't know that he 6'6'' and 260lbs or so that his 105 in a minute is no longer going to stand...maybe we should have recorded it at the time for Ripley's Believe It or Not?

This was the really good bit:
I did 100 in 4:48 and I'm no slouch by any means, but I do weigh 210-215 lbs.

1. I'm actually wondering if we should get Rebecca to do it and record it because I'm thinking she would kick this guys arse?

2. Maybe we should make this a test...anyone that can't beat it should be kicked out of the facility till they can beat it....don't worry...I don't think there's anyone that couldn't beat it any time of day or night.

3. I think someone should actually let this guy know....actually he is a slouch.

End of Rant

Just trying to get some stuff up while I can.

I've been in the process of making at least a dozen posts only to have my machine fall over...this may yet be another one.

We had a rowing challenge...we have a couple of different challenges every week...last night it was a fatness challenge...a battle of suprailiac skinfolds...anyway..the other night it was a 500m Concept II race...here are the results.


Rowing Challenge Results.

Here are the winning splits...just to show that it was legit.



Damian Griffin's splits/results.

Plate Twisting
This is the first time James had done this exercise and he didn't do a bad job at all. You should try it...I like this exercise for a lot of reasons...it sort of combines a 'wall sit' without the wall...I like the resisted rotation...it is a great way to load the trunk. We pull the shoulders blades back and down and keep a good tight lower back arch.
As the athletes get better we both increase the loading and hold the plate further from the body...try it and tell me what you think.


Single Sided Trunk Twists.


Double Sided Trunk Twists.

Michael Sullivan said...
Well done Fanj. Only 2 seconds behind Damian.

Fanj,

Did you do a lot of conditioning work before this rowing test or does it just come naturally? This is a serious question.


Fanj is a good all round natural athlete...which I find quite annoying to say the least.

Ian said...

Some fantastic times in amongst the list.


What can I say...I'm a coaching genius. In truth I have a lot of good athletes and they work really hard for the most part and they get the results they deserve.

Will...I did the 150m and 500m time trial earlier and the results are in:

150m: 28s (100m - 18.8s)

5 minute rest

500m: 1:40.8 (100m - 18.6, 200m - 18.8s, 300m - 19.6s, 400m - 21.1s, 500m - 22.8s)

After the 500m time trial it felt like a red hot poker had been thrust through my throat...the fact I lived to tell the tale is a result as I do very little cardio conditioning let alone rowing which I have never done much of.


I can see a lot of rowing in your future.

Although I have the 2km time trial to do what do the above figures tell you...if anything :)

I want to see your 2km time when you do it...and I'll tell you what I think then. I hate online training but we'll work out a program for you and we can test again in 6 weeks or 8 weeks time.

Also, a problem I had...especially during the 500m time trial...was that in my effort to go as hard as possible my backside was lifting off the seat a bit and I found myself having to re-adjust which cost me quite a few seconds. I am obviously doing something wrong...maybe something about my technique...but niot sure what. Any ideas?

I'll get Damian to post some links to a technique video...there is a guy named Xeno Muller that actually reads the blog...maybe he can post the videos or some plugs to his DVD's here.

Anonymous said...

What are your thoughts on plyometrics?


I get asked this question a lot...usually by people who already know what my answer is...I don't have a problem with plyometrics...they're a tool. Depends what you are looking to get out of them. Give me a specific example and I'd be happy to tell you what I think.

Damian Griffin said...

None of us knew about this test. No one was training for it. ps its a 3 second gap !!!


If I told you guys every time I was going to spring a test on you then the place would be empty on those days.

13 comments:

Michael Sullivan said...

Well done Fanj. Only 2 seconds behind Damian.

Fanj,

Did you do a lot of conditioning work before this rowing test or does it just come naturally? This is a serious question.

ian said...

Some fantastic times in amongst the list.

Will...I did the 150m and 500m time trial earlier and the results are in:

150m: 28s (100m - 18.8s)

5 minute rest

500m: 1:40.8 (100m - 18.6, 200m - 18.8s, 300m - 19.6s, 400m - 21.1s, 500m - 22.8s)

After the 500m time trial it felt like a red hot poker had been thrust through my throat...the fact I lived to tell the tale is a result as I do very little cardio conditioning let alone rowing which I have never done much of.

Although I have the 2km time trial to do what do the above figures tell you...if anything :)

Also, a problem I had...especially during the 500m time trial...was that in my effort to go as hard as possible my backside was lifting off the seat a bit and I found myself having to re-adjust which cost me quite a few seconds. I am obviously doing something wrong...maybe something about my technique...but niot sure what. Any ideas?

Anonymous said...

what are your thoughts on plyometrics?

Damian Griffin said...

None of us knew about this test. No one was training for it. ps its a 3 second gap !!!

Pat Hodgson said...

Will - just two things:
Firstly your blog is the blog I'd write if I had the time... and secondly, as a boxing coach, I'll be incorporating many of the effective (read painful) gems you bring to light...

Pat.

Damian Griffin said...

Hi Guys,
here is a good link to Xeno Muller giving commentary on a few rowers. Xeno is a Gold and Silver Olypmic medalist in single skull so a good source of info

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLp0bAKDcl8

Damian Griffin said...

Heres another one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLO1XAOwzMo&feature=related

ian said...

Hi Damian,

I've just had time to watch a few minutes of the first link and that vide footage is golden...fantastic insight from Xeno.

I will do my 500m time given the technique I have and then put the time in to work on it.

Gus said...

Griff It makes me Sick how much better you are at rowing than me! But I will catch you 1 day! I GUARENTEE, I have youth on my side Old Man

CBD- B said...

wow those rowing links are fucking awesome! sooo many things i never pick up on

thanks for that

Damian Griffin said...

No panic the links should help everyone. Gus, just remember I have never worked on my technique until last week. More importantly the fastest 2k time ever was set by a guy in his 30's

ian said...

FOR SALE: Concept 2 Model D PM 3...bought new June 2008...used 3 times only...selling due to fears for respiratory continuity following 2km time trial...

I jest...result of time trial was...7:55.1 (400m - 1:36.2, 800m - 1:35.4, 1200m - 1:36.0, 1600m - 1:33.7, 2000m - 1:33.8)

Recovery to near normal heart rate was quicker than I thought it would be...found it hard work but glad to have gone through it...and tired to put into practise some of the things I saw in Xeno Muller's video but need to do practise sessions.

Will...when you look at the results of a 150m , 500m and 2Km time trial...together with the split times...what are the things you look for straight away...I know you posted a comment about how you start out beginners...like me..and look at recovery...but of course you don't have the advantage of seeing my face etched in pain or lying convulsed on the floor after the time trial.

Michael Sullivan said...

ian said:
but of course you don't have the advantage of seeing my face etched in pain or lying convulsed on the floor after the time trial.


Seeing that would give Will so much pleasure that it may actually make him smile.