Thursday, May 1, 2008

So who is doing what?

I'd break down the athletes as follows:
1. Too skinny and too weak.
2. Too fat and too weak.

I think generally we have really low standards as to what we think is 'good' regarding strength, speed and power.

Strength wins every single argument in sport...the reason that women don't compete against men in contact sports is not due to a lack of technical ability it is just down to a lack of strength...pound for pound men are just stronger than women....it is the same reason that they have weight classes in fighting...lightweight fighters are not worse fighters technically than heavyweights...they just aren't as strong.

How strong is strong enough.....I'm glad I asked....I think a reasonable standard for rugby is to be able to do a 2XBodyweight deadlift or squat, a 1.5XBodyweight bench press, 1.5XBodyweight pull up....these are all for a single rep. You should be able to do 15 reps with body weight on the squat and 10+ reps on the bench and pull ups with your body weight. You should also be able to do 45 press ups and 30+ inverted rows in 60 seconds.

So what does this mean....well if you are 100kg rugby player and you are serious about your sport then you should be able to do the following:
Squat/Deadlift = 200kg+
Bench Press = 150kg+
Pull Up = 1 rep with 50kg load
Repetition Squat = 15+ reps with 100kg
Repetition Bench Press = 10+ reps with 100kg
Repetition Pull Ups = 10+ reps with bodyweight
Push Ups = 45+ in 60 seconds
Inverted Rows = 30+ in 60 seconds

This is what I think is a 'good' strength standard....if you can do all these things....then you can be working on increasing your power, speed, agility and most importantly your skill and technical ability. If you can't...then I don't want to hear you talking about snatching or clean and jerking or anything else for that matter....because you are just TOO WEAK.

Strength is the vessel....power is what you put into it...so if you have a tiny vessel (too weak) then you can do all the power work you like and it won't amount to anything because rugby unlike fighting is not governed by weight classes....strength always trumps everything when skill and technical ability are matched.

7 comments:

Brizer said...

might aswell quit then........

Will Heffernan said...

...well....with an attitude like that....you may as well quit.

On the other hand...you could always pull your head out and start working towards these goals?

Which one are you furthest away from?

Jonathan said...

Do these benchmarks still hold true for an athlete at 122 Kgs, if the weights were to be scaled up? Yes I know I don't play rugby, but I figure these are at least something to shoot for. I can meet the requirements for the chins at bodyweight, push ups and IR's. Everything else needs work. Would you recommend that I concentrate on more reps (4-6+) or do more work at 90%+? Also how much time does it take for one of your athlete's to progress up to meeting the weighted chin requirement?

Will Heffernan said...

Do these benchmarks still hold true for an athlete at 122 Kgs, if the weights were to be scaled up?
Absolutely.
Yes I know I don't play rugby, but I figure these are at least something to shoot for. I can meet the requirements for the chins at bodyweight, push ups and IR's. Everything else needs work. Would you recommend that I concentrate on more reps (4-6+) or do more work at 90%+?
Which one are you furthest away from?
Also how much time does it take for one of your athlete's to progress up to meeting the weighted chin requirement?
Depends how far away from it they are to start with.

Jonathan said...

I am furthest away from the squat numbers. Currently 415 w/belt, bench mark says 540. Bench is 315, benchmark says 405. RE Squat w/bodyweight is 3 and RE Bench at bodyweight is 2. I know what you're think... "Man you are a weak bastard!"

Will Heffernan said...

I am furthest away from the squat numbers. Currently 415 w/belt, bench mark says 540.
I say double bodyweight squat or deadlift...because as you know...some people are more comfortable with either or and I'm fine with that.
Bench is 315, benchmark says 405. RE Squat w/bodyweight is 3 and RE Bench at bodyweight is 2. I know what you're think... "Man you are a weak bastard!"
How fat are you?

Jonathan said...

270lbs or 122kg for you Aussies.