Wednesday, May 14, 2008

I'm going to mix things up a bit

I am going to post tonight in dribs and drabs because I'm sure some of you use readers and I'm going to see if I can blow them up.

I am going to post the interview with former professional rugby player Adam Magro...I was initially hoping that I could keep the interview down to 7 minutes if only so I could title this evenings post...7 Minute Ads...but as usual...I ended up talking so much because I am a raving ego maniac...on seeing the first 10 seconds of playback Ads and I had to stop it...because it was brutally bad....well that and the fact that as Ads pointed out correctly...I have a bit of a pin head and a big nose...that and because it was brutally bad. I'm refusing to bin anything...I'm going to show it to you no matter how painful it is....for several reasons...1. I want to actually get better at it because I think that a lot of the people I work with or have worked with have a lot of interesting stuff to say about training...2. I want to inflict watching it upon you should you choose to do so...because I'm cruel like that.

I also have some other lifting stuff to post....so I better go download the vids...please feel free to leave a comment if I blow up your reader by constantly messing around with this single post this evening.

So firstly I want to apologise to Ads for making him look bad...but here's the interview...for what it is.



Interview with Adam Magro former ACT Brumbies and Leinster Rugby Centre.

Here's JM closing the book on the Trap Bar Deadlift record chase for a while...lord help us when he actually gets his knee surgery and starts back squatting and deadlifting...I think it also has a lot to do with all the accessory work we've been doing while waiting for his surgery slot...plenty of 45 degree back extensions and natural reverse hypers....well it can't hurt.



JM pulling 255kg (560+lbs) on the Trap Bar Deadlfit.

15 comments:

mimo said...

I have a comment/question. What the hell is a reader and how can it help me?
Yes,apparently,my computer skills are even worse than yours :dano:

Also, how much more weight do you think your athletes can pull with a trap bar Vs an regular one? I don't have access to a trap bar right now and have never used one.

Why do you use it instead of an Oly bar?
-The setup is more functional(closer to what you have to do on the field)?
-easier on the back?
-Most people can't pull from the floor right away(flexibility)
-better for taller athletes.

P.S: thanks for the help. My professor was speechless when he saw my presentation,and how practical it was,i mean, Normally, this kind of stuff relies on theory and no one knows how well it would work in real life or how will they put it to work. Mine had both,and was really simple.
It may land me a place at the high performance center in Lisbon/jamor, where my professor works.

Thanks to Eric aswell, of course

Will Heffernan said...

I have a comment/question. What the hell is a reader and how can it help me?
Look Mimo...I'm willing to do all the work to make sure that you get your degree...but I can't hold your hand for everything.
Yes,apparently,my computer skills are even worse than yours :dano:
Impossible.
Also, how much more weight do you think your athletes can pull with a trap bar Vs an regular one?
Hard to say...we'll find out for sure soon enough when the guys start doing max work on alternate weeks...we'll see what the difference is between the two week to week.
I don't have access to a trap bar right now and have never used one.
You should...I think they are great...not a big fan of back squatting...so I like what the trap bar has to offer.
Why do you use it instead of an Oly bar?
I use both.
-The setup is more functional(closer to what you have to do on the field)?
Did you not hear me...I use both.
-easier on the back?
Listen....I said I use both.
-Most people can't pull from the floor right away(flexibility)
I'll come to Portugal and kick your arse if I have to...I use both.
-better for taller athletes.
Right...that's it....no more help at Uni for you.

P.S: thanks for the help. My professor was speechless when he saw my presentation,and how practical it was,i mean, Normally, this kind of stuff relies on theory and no one knows how well it would work in real life or how will they put it to work. Mine had both,and was really simple.
It may land me a place at the high performance center in Lisbon/jamor, where my professor works.
Good...that means I won't end up feeling bad and offering you work....climb to the top there and then you can offer me a nice consultancy gig in my old age....ie...in a couple of years.
Thanks to Eric aswell, of course
Typical...that rosy cheeked little S.o.B is always trying to get in on my glory.

mimo said...

Good...that means I won't end up feeling bad and offering you work....

HAHAH...don't worry, when you want to up your game, you can always hire me. Hell, i'll even take half my salary in beer. How cool is that?

Will Heffernan said...

This is Ireland...the beer here is more expensive than your salary.

mimo said...

Just wanted to clear this up as i really don't like missunderstandings, and contrary to most people on the internet( HA), i don't like to pretend to be more than i really am. The spot at Jamor will be an internship,with an option to stay there after that.
So.... thre's still hope for you HAHA

And,damn, is it really that pricey ,over there? Here, a pint of beer is like 1-3 euros.

I guess, YOU should come visit us

Will Heffernan said...

Sounds great mate...those spots are always hard to get and are a fantastic 'foot in the door' for your career...I'm sure you'll make the most of it.

Jonathan said...

How do you perform a natural reverse hyper?

Will Heffernan said...

Jonathon,
I'll video them for you today. We basically just do them lying over one of the plyo boxes...we do them very strict and with a pause and hold at the top.

october_red said...

It looks like you and Adam are in bed together.

Will Heffernan said...

There was mention of the famous Paula Yates and Michael Hutchence interview.

Anonymous said...

Two things:
1) Why are none of the comments sections about the thing that's meant to be commented on. In other words Will, stop chatting with your mates about shit!!
2) In relevance to the video and impressive feat; Johnny has the grip strength of an ill, malnourished, claw-less kitten.

Will Heffernan said...

Two things:
1) Why are none of the comments sections about the thing that's meant to be commented on. In other words Will, stop chatting with your mates about shit!!
Because people are idiots...naturally I include myself as 'people' although some people would deny it.
2) In relevance to the video and impressive feat; Johnny has the grip strength of an ill, malnourished, claw-less kitten.
This is true...my heart sank a little when he said...'hang on a sec I'll just get my straps'...I had such high hopes for him before that.

Johnny(JM) said...

ill admit my grip strength isnt great but as i said today i need the french chalk cause my hands get sweaty when working out

Will Heffernan said...

Plenty of snipers about on the internet mate...I know...because I'm one of them...plenty of people will be only to happy to try and tear you down...just think how much stronger you'll be from the effort of carrying them to the top and throwing them aside when you get there.
On the other hand...your man does have a point...you are a bit of a pussy.

Johnny(JM) said...

its a funny thing jealousy and i know it was someone there cause you cant see the straps in the video