Friday, May 9, 2008

Finish of a long working week....I wish

Back in the gym tomorrow and Sunday as well so more like a continuation of my working week.

I'll deal with my homework first...Ian is really working me to the bone.

Hi Will,

Assuming you have prescribed 5 sets of 12 reps for, say, pullups, I am taking it that the athelete has some flexibility on how he performs each set.

That is, if he can manage to perform the set in one go then great, but if he does it in blocks of 7 reps + 5 reps, that's ok too.

If that's the case, then provided the athelete doesn't take an inordinately long time to complete each set, the training effect would be the same as if he had done the 12 reps for each set without a break.


I was going to deal with each of these separately but it makes much more sense to lump them all together...because it's important to clarify this...and by clarify I mean hedge my bets and muddy the water...the answer in short is Yes and No. In that with some supplementary exercises I set the reps and they are just done in whatever fashion can be managed...for example inverted rows....if it says 12 reps then you do 12 reps or at least make it look like you did or sound like you did while I was busy talking, berating, ridiculing or coaching someone else. As you can see in the video below AS is making a pathetic attempt at 12 reps of inverted rows...the only reason that I let him get away with it is because I felt sorry for him and because all the other kids make fun of him in the playground because his inverted rows are rubbish. I know they are crap and so does he but he is getting much better...and that should tell you everything you need to know about how bad they were when he started with me a couple of weeks ago. So in this case 12 reps means 12 reps however you get them out. However with the days primary exercises that is not the case...it might say 5 sets of 8 reps in the program and they might do 8, 8, 7, 6, 5 reps and that is what it is...it is a primary exercise and I know they are emptying the tank on those last 3 sets and overall we've accumulated enough volume for me to be happy. Does that make sense?



As you can clearly see from about 7 reps onwards AS is only missing his inverted rows from about 1 inch to what is clearly about 1ft away from the bar...AS is in my inverted row equivalent of remedial class.

I have gotten used to thinking that if a coach prescribes 5 sets of 12 reps, there is a training effect that he is after based on the reps done and the time it takes to do them (I'm thinking total time under tension and that sort of thing) and that if you are shortening or lengthening each set in order to make the reps then the training effect would be different. I guess this is related to the flexibility you have with rest periods and there not being a lot of difference between a minute here or there is you're resting 3-5 minutes on a heavy day.
This is what I was getting at above...it depends whether it is a primary exercise or an accessory exercise.

I'm just rambling here :)
I'm a rambler as well so feel free to ramble all you like.

Any way that's my homework done.

So GL had his rowing session tonight and FoS did the same session an hour and a bit later. I will list GL's splits first and FoS's splits right after. Unfortunately due to user error GL programmed 600m into the rower twice in the run home to the finish but I think you will get the idea.

As promised here are the splits:

200m - 41.6, 41.6
400m - 1:26.8, 1:20.4
600m - 2:11.3, 2:12.2
800m - 2:59.5, 2:58.5
1000m - 3:51.8, 3:52.2
200m - 45.3, 47.8
400m - 1:30.2, 1:28.9
600m - 2:17.3, 2:17.3
800m - 3:09.9, 2.58.7
1000m - 4:01.9, 4:03.6
800m - 3:11.3, 3:13.9
600m - 2:24.4, 2.27.0
Now we had a bit of a technical mishap here...GL was suffering from seasickness or delirium and rowed through his recovery and made a mess of his last 2 intervals. FoS's were fine though.
600m - N/A, 2:23.9
200m - N/A, 45.2

The lads would of been quite similar in times...I think the totals were around the 31 minute mark.

If you feel like giving it a go do so and post your times/splits in the comments section. I'm not sure if I'll post them every week but the lads will be doing this exact same row once a week for the next 4 weeks so I will definitely post their times/splits for the last session of there training cycle.

Prior to rowing the lads did a warm up consisting of two handed kettlebell swing and some single handed swings along with some lower body mobility work...I was asked about over's and under's...well that's what the lads are doing here...DG in the foreground has had these in his program for about 4 weeks as he is completing a transition program which he completed today (he's testing in the morning) and GL in the background who is doing these for the first time...feel free to laugh...I certainly did...as I think I've made clear in this blog already...I'm going to show you the good, the bad and the exceptionally ugly when it comes to form and technique...real life isn't about perfect form and faultless execution...that is not to say I don't care about form or technique...I will show you GL doing these in 4 weeks time so you can see the difference in his form and mobility....any way these are over's and under's.



I also have to say well done to ROK and DOK...firstly ROK tested on Tuesday and got stapled to the bench doing 40kg...her max in testing was 37.5kg on the night...this evening she punched out 3 reps at 37.5kg...I was making the point quite rightly that I must be the world's greatest coach when she pointed out that I was in fact the worlds luckiest coach to have such great athletes to coach...I didn't have much to say after that. Then I was pointing out to DOK that maybe when he grows up (DOK is 17 and about 6ft5in) he might be able to vertical jump as well as me...I was explaining that comparing the two of us as athletes wasn't really fair...when he asked was that because I was so much fatter...well done guys...you just wait until Tuesday's session...I'll be ready for you.

I almost forgot...ROK's training program that I said I would give you:

Session 1
Warm Up + Mobility Work
Trap Bar Deadlift - 8 sets of 3 reps
Step Ups - 3 sets of 8 reps
Roll outs - 5 sets of 8 reps
Band Assisted Chins - 5 sets of 8 reps
1A Push Ups - 3 sets of 12
1B Band Assisted Inverted Rows - 3 sets of 12 reps
Lying Tricep Extensions - 3 sets of 8 reps

Session 2
Warm Up + Mobility Work
Box Jumps - 10 sets of 3 reps (30inch box)
Reverse Lunges - 3 sets of 8 reps
Plate Shifting - 5 sets
Bench Press - 8 sets of 3 reps
DB Rows - 3 sets of 12 reps
Plate Pull Overs - 3 sets of 12 reps
Bicep Curls - 3 sets of 8 reps

10 comments:

Michael Sullivan said...

AS does suck at inverted rows but he is still better than Dan John.

Will Heffernan said...

Dan John aka The Worm

ian said...

Hi Will,

Right.....I got it!

Fantastic stuff here. Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply.

Will Heffernan said...

Ian,
I'll make a deal with you....if you keep asking...I'll keep answering!

Thanks for taking the time to read it.

Will

ian said...

Will, from which supplier do you get your bands? I'm across the Irish sea from you in England.

Will Heffernan said...

I use Iron Woody bands. They are the only ones I've ever used....which is only because they were the first ones I ever got and I've never had a problem with them. I just ordered a new set for the gym next week so you'll see them ally shiny and new in any of the photos or vids I post once they arrive.

I use them a lot...we do a lot of band assisted work and I'm a big fan of reverse band work. I've still got and use my original bands I got which are about 5 years old.

If you want a contact at Iron Woody drop me a mail at stmaryscollegerfc at gmail dot com and I will give you a contact...they've always been great helping me with my import tax minimisation issue so it's worth dealing with them directly.

Zaf said...

Hi Will,

How will you progress ROK in the band assisted movements?

Currently she is trying to do 5x8 with say band 3.

Do you stay with that band for the whole cycle or go down to band 2 which provides less assistance.

Unlike the bar or dumbells where you can add 1-2 kgs to progress then bands provide very big jumps in load. How do you decide on set x rep schemes when you don't have as much control over the load?

Ben said...

thanks for those rower times will!
ill have a go at them in the next few weeks myself, our concept II is rooted atm though so i have to use some other piece of garbage, or ill make someone else do it instead which is probably my preferance anyway coz they dont look like much fun

Now you may have answered this before and i missed it but do you have a 'fitness' test that you use? like a time for a certain distance or something like the rest of the tests (pushups/inv rows in 60sec, squats with bw etc etc) i stole from you?

Ben said...

also was going to ask if someone was fresh to this how would you break them in. Last time you were talking about someone who you thought was capable of it - had a big engine or whatever, but what if they were a nubee?

http://willheffernan.blogspot.com/2008/05/conditioning-work.html

from that post im guessing you would go something like 200, 400, 600 then back down again with decent rest periods then over time increase the number sets and distances in each set and decrease rest times? is that close or am i overthinking it?

Damian Griffin said...

DG: not to forget here the bars are at different heights. the angle is decieving